SIGACT Community Grants
2023 Call for Proposals
Upcoming due date: September 1, 2023
SIGACT invites applications for small grants (~
$20K) in support of its
mission to “foster and promote the discovery and dissemination of high quality
research in the domain of theoretical computer science.”
Grants can be in one of these areas of interest, but worthy ideas outside of these areas can also receive support.
- Conferences or events that benefit the TCS community.
- Projects that strengthen connections to adjacent conferences and communities.
- Initiatives that nurture the “theory pipeline” including undergrads, grads, postdocs, young faculty.
- Initiatives that aim to broaden participation in TCS.
- Seed funding for projects that align with the mission of SIGACT, e.g., a new conference, a new journal.
Two rounds of grants will be made each calendar year. For the first one, applications will be accepted until March 1, with decisions by April 1. The second cycle has a due date of September 1, with decisions by October 1. The amount available for grants is determined by the surplus in the SIGACT budget from the previous Fiscal Year (ending in June), and is expected to vary from year to year.
How to apply
Applications can be made by filling out a form.
Applications should state:
- the organization or individual requesting the funds,
- the amount requested, and
- a brief (1–2 pages) description of the project, and how it benefits the TCS community and furthers SIGACT’s mission.
The description should include:
- a rough budget,
- a brief outline of other funding sources secured or requested, and
- past funding sources and amounts if the project is associated with a recurring event, e.g., a yearly conference.